Will I have friends in class? Will I enjoy my new classroom? Will I fit in? Everyone is nervous the first day back. Help ease those September anxieties with these cross-curricular, community-building activities based on popular Kevin Henkes books:
• Before You Begin
• A Worrying Scroll (Wemberly Worried)
• When We Belong, We Bloom!
• Make a Friendship Chain (Chester's Way)
• Everyone's a Teacher
• The Lightbulb Lab (Lily's Purple Plastic Purse)
• Weigh the Consequences
• A Community Journal
• Meet the Teacher (Lily's Purple Plastic Purse)
• First Day Story Strips (Chrysanthemum)
• Closing Activity—Make Your Own Mouse
The Lightbulb Lab: In Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, when Lilly and her classmates are in the mood to think of great ideas, they go to the Lightbulb Lab and express themselves through drawing and writing. Set up a lightbulb lab for your students. Ask the children to draw and cut out paper lightbulbs. On their lightbulbs, they can write great ideas for making the classroom successful. Use the lightbulbs to decorate the lab and fill a bookshelf with exciting reference materials for sparking creative thinking!