Teaching the parts of speech is super fun with Marvin Terban—Professor Grammar himself—as a virtual co-teacher. Marvin introduces each part of speech in a series of short, highly engaging videos that serve as a launch pad to a rich mini grammar curriculum that includes interactive whiteboard activities and reproducible practice pages. A great way to help students become more confident writers and readers!
Grades 3 - 6
Language: Conventions of Standard English
- L.3.1, L.4.1, L.5.1, L.6.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- L.3.1a Explain the function of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in general and their functions in particular sentences.
- L.3.1b Form and use regular and irregular plural nouns.
- L.3.1c Use abstract nouns (e.g., childhood).
- L.3.1d Form and use regular and irregular verbs.
- L.3.1e Form and use the simple (e.g., I walked; I walk; I will walk) verb tenses.
- L.3.1f Ensure subject-verb and pronounantecedent agreement.
- L.3.1g Form and use comparative and superlative adjectives and adverbs, and choose between them depending on what is to be modified.
- L.3.1h Use coordinating and subordinating conjunctions.
- L.3.1i Produce simple, compound, and complex sentences.
- L.4.1a Use relative pronouns (who, whose, whom, which, that) and relative adverbs (where, when, why).
- L.4.1e Form and use prepositional phrases. L.4.1g Correctly use frequently confused words (e.g., to, too, two; there, their).
- L.5.1a Explain the function of conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections in general and their function in particular sentences.
- L.5.1c Use verb tense to convey various times, sequences, states, and conditions.
- L.5.1d Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in verb tense.
- L.5.1e Use correlative conjunctions (e.g., either/or, neither/nor).
- L.6.1a Ensure that pronouns are in the proper case (subjective, objective, possessive).
- L.6.1b Use intensive pronouns (e.g., myself, ourselves).
- L.6.1c Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in pronoun number and person.
Language: Knowledge of Language
- L.3.3, L.4.3, L.5.3, L.6.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.