By Karen Shelton
July, the month in which the Bell Telephone Company was formed in 1877, is the perfect time to turn the spotlight on the inventor of the telephone—Alexander Graham Bell!
This unit includes the following:
• an INTRODUCTION that helps to connect the featured person to a particular month, and also supplies background information
• MORE INTERESTING FACTS that focus on the featured person's life, experiences, and accomplishments
• an easy-to-read MINI-BOOK filled with interesting and factual information about the featured person
• a READ-ALOUD PLAY that reinforces children's knowledge about the person and builds fluency
• an ACTIVITY PAGE specific to the featured person that gives kids the opportunity to further reflect on the person's character traits and passions
• RELATED READING - book suggestions that help to build children's background knowledge and understanding of the featured person
Play Props and Productions: After reading through the play a few times, invite children to suggest embellishments they might add to make the production more interesting, such as an interesting prop, a musical link, or even an announcer to provide oral credits at the conclusion of the play. By encouraging children to contribute to the plans and preparations for the play, they will become more fully engaged!