By Karen Shelton
THoughts of Clara Barton, born on December 25, bring images of battlefield nursing to mind. Before the battlefields, however, Barton taught and started the first free school in New Jersey!
This unit includes the following:
• an INTRODUCTION that helps to connect the featured person to a particular month, and also supplies background information
• MORE INTERESTING FACTS that focus on the featured person's life, experiences, and accomplishments
• an easy-to-read MINI-BOOK filled with interesting and factual information about the featured person
• a READ-ALOUD PLAY that reinforces children's knowledge about the person and builds fluency
• an ACTIVITY PAGE specific to the featured person that gives kids the opportunity to further reflect on the person's character traits and passions
• RELATED READING - book suggestions that help to build children's background knowledge and understanding of the featured person
Mask the text of the mini-book and make a copy of the pages. Then cut out the text from another copy. Laminate all the pieces, place them in a center, and encourage children to match the corresponding text to each page!