By Karen Shelton
Presidents' Day in February is the perfect time to feature Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States and one of our country's greatest leaders!
This unit includes the following:
• an INTRODUCTION that helps to connect the featured person to a particular month, and also supplies background information
• MORE INTERESTING FACTS that focus on the featured person's life, experiences, and accomplishments
• an easy-to-read MINI-BOOK filled with interesting and factual information about the featured person
• a READ-ALOUD PLAY that reinforces children's knowledge about the person and builds fluency
• an ACTIVITY PAGE specific to the featured person that gives kids the opportunity to further reflect on the person's character traits and passions
• RELATED READING - book suggestions that help to build children's background knowledge and understanding of the featured person
Highlight selected words in the mini-book and place it in a literacy center. Invite children to search other books, materials, and displays in the center to find words that match those highlighted in the mini-book!