By Karen J. Kindle
Students are fascinated with construction vehicles and other large trucks. This engaging text will appeal to young children with its rhythmic and repetitive language!
This comprehensive vocabulary unit is designed to help you use nonfiction texts in read-alouds. The unit can be adapted to fit the needs of your students, or taught as is. Components of the unit are:
• a brief description of the text
• "Vocabulary for Instruction" (a list of target words)
• additional word lists that suggest specific categories to focus on, such as "Action Words"
• "During Reading" (suggested questions to promote critical thinking and use of target vocabulary)
• "Infusion Activities" (ways to infuse vocabulary instruction from the read-aloud throughout your day)
Also includes steps for designing your own read-aloud vocabulary units!
Sorting vehicles: Write vehicle names on cards or sentence strips and have students help you sort them by different criteria such as the following:• Number of wheels• Vehicles that push, pull, lift, dig, carry, and so on• Construction vehicles, helping vehicles, transportation vehicles